Alamosa Country has 3 towns — Alamosa (county seat), Mosca, and Hooper
Alamosa: Alamosa, meaning “cottonwood grove” is at the bend of the Rio Grande River.
“Alamosa literally grew up overnight. In June 1878, the City of Alamosa went from a tent City to a rail center for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.
According to local legend, the rail crews were fed in Garland City in the morning then the building was placed on a flat car and the crews were fed dinner from the same building in Alamosa that night.
Many of the City’s first buildings were brought in whole on railroad flat cars. Alamosa was incorporated on August 30, 1878. “ From the Alamosa website.
Mosca: Mosca is a gateway to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. It is named for the nearby Mosca Pass in the national park which in turn is named for the Spanish explorer, Luis de Moscoso de Alvarado. “mosca” is Spanish for fly.
The nearby Colorado Gators Reptile Park features alligators, tilapia, and geothermal water.
Hooper: Hooper was founded during the land boom
that followed the arrival of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad in Alamosa. A northern spur was built through Mosca and up to Hooper. Once a busy railroad and trading town, it now has fewer than 100 residents and the train tracks are only a memory.
Hooper is 20 miles north of Alamosa on State Route 17.